[blockquote source=”Proverbs 24:14 (NLT)“]In the same way, wisdom is sweet to your soul. If you find it, you will have a bright future, and your hopes will not be cut short.[/blockquote]
In my mission to “Focus on Jesus 365“, the main aim is to identify a passage in the Scripture daily, interpret it, and look for a way to apply it to everyday living. Sounds simple? There are two key problems – interpretation and application:
- Who am I to “interpret” the Scriptures? Would I contort the Scripture to “fit” my own experiences? Would I be giving a false interpretation? What if I was wrong in my interpretation?
- How do I know what’s the best way to apply what I’ve learned from the Scriptures? What if I cannot find the tools or techniques to apply what I have learned? What if those tools were just convenient and not really promoting Biblical principles?
It’s been said here that “interpretation is the bridge between observation and application”.
Here’s how I address this issue:
- Pray with expectancy and ask for guidance from the Holy Spirit: one can pray but don’t expect anything, but what is important here is that the Bible is indeed the Word of God, and we should read it with expectations and not read it passively like a novel;
- Search for the right interpretation: it is well documented that in order to interpret the Scripture, you need to have Scripture interpret your experiences and not the other way around. Hence, we need to understand the principles to interpreting Scriptures. This is well documented here, here, and here; and
- Look for appropriate tools to facilitate application: here, application does not mean using the most convenient tool available to “live” out the principles taught in the Scriptures, but however to use the most appropriate tool to enable us to live out the principles by submitting to the truth in obedience.
My aim is to learn from the Bible, live it out in my everyday life, and lead others to do the same in order to realise their God-given purpose.
Father I pray that the Holy Spirit will guide me to accurately observe, interpret, and apply the Scriptures so that I may learn, live, and lead a highly engaged life. I pray all these in Jesus name, Amen.